New Tehri – the planned city of Uttarakhand
Known for the largest hydroelectricity project in the world, New Tehri is yet another beautiful destination in the picturesque state of Uttarakhand. The rivers Bhilangana and Bhagirathi flow through this town forming an emerald reservoir, making this a picturesque town in the Tehri Garhwal district.
The township of New Tehri was established as a planned city and it is also the district headquarters now. Apart from being an important place for the government in terms of power production, the place also offers interesting places and things to do for the tourists.
There is of course the Tehri Dam, an imposing structure, that leaves you awestruck. The place also offers water sports for those who like some adventure on their trip. You can try jet skiing in New Tehri. If you are looking for some spiritual places, then there are some temples in the city to please you in that aspect as well. There is also the old Tehri town, established during the British reign, just a few km from New Tehri. But it is completely under water now.
What should you see and do in New Tehri?
New Tehri offers a new dimension and perspective to ardent travelers who love to explore new places and watch some picturesque views. It is a place encompassing the spirituality of temples, the scenic beauty of villages, the adventure of water sports, and more.
- Tehri Dam: This is the highest and largest dam in Asia and is also the largest hydroelectric power project in the world. It stands tenth in the list of tallest dams in the world and is at a distance of 13km from the township of New Tehri. The rivers Bhagirathi and Bhilangana flow through this region and the waters from these two rivers are harnessed to generate as much as 1000MW electric power. With boating expeditions underway, the dam reservoir is a major tourist attraction. Jet skiing is also another major attraction in this township.
- Sem Mukhem Temple: At a height of 2903m above sea level, this temple is set on a hilltop that can be reached by trekking around 7km from Khamba Khal. The main deity of the temple is the snake god and the temple is visited by many every day.
- Chandrabadni Temple: Dedicated to Goddess Sati, this temple is at a height of 2277m above sea level. Carved out of white marbles, this temple is considered among the Shaktipeethas and offers a splendid view of the mountains from the top.
- Khatling Glacier: The trekking to this mesmerizing landscape begins in Ghuttu, about 62km from New Tehri. This trek offers you amazing views of the Himalayas while also giving you a good time hiking.
- Pantwari and Devalsari Village: Located around 124km from New Tehri, this village along with the Devalsari Village serves as a base camp for trekking to Nag Tibba. The village is covered with a whole gamut of trees like oak, and rhododendron, and offers amazing mountain views and exotic bird species. The village of Devalsari is located at a distance of 9km from New Tehri and you can begin your 13km long trek to Nag Tibba from here as well.
- Dhanaulti: A hill station, Dhanaulti is located at a distance of 40km from New Tehri and is a place where you can enjoy icy mountainous terrain and dense forest foliage. It is a popular tourist destination loved by many for its peaceful surroundings.
- Chamba: If you are looking for life amongst lush green forest trees, then you should visit Chamba located 11km from New Tehri. At a height of 1600m, this place is unpolluted and is synonymous with serenity. It offers you the best view of the snowy peaks of the Himalayas.
And there are much more places to explore near and in New Tehri.
New Tehri also has a lot of options for accommodation to meet everyone’s budget. There are decent 3star, 2star, and single-star hotels offering opulence and comfort to weary travelers. There are also guest houses run by the government that is even more affordable and comfortable to stay in. You can also consider camping as an option and it could be a pleasant option to stay around this booming city.
When should you visit New Tehri?
There is no specific season to plan your trip to New Tehri. The place is a perfect destination all around the year.
- If you are planning your trip in summer, between April and June, you will be welcomed by the mild weather ideal to travel around New Tehri to other places like Prayag nearby.
- The monsoon months from July till September also offer an ideal time for vacation, with the picturesque views coming more vivid in front of your eyes.
- If it is winter, then you would be able to gorge on the yummy food items in New Tehri. The months between October and March see the temperature dropping down to 1degree Celsius at times. But it is also the best time to vacation in this town.
Reaching New Tehri
The township of New Tehri is connected through rail, road, and air and can be reached by all these three means, as is comfortable for you.
- The airport closer to New Tehri is the Jolly Grant Airfield in Dehradun. It is approximately 86km from New Tehri and you can take a cab from the airport to reach your destination.
- Haridwar is the closest railway station at a distance of 71km from New Tehri. The station is well connected to other cities across the country through rail.
- Tehri Garhwal is one of the major districts in Uttarakhand and hence is connected on road to all the major places in and around Uttarakhand. Both AC luxury and normal buses ply to this region from here.
You can either cover New Tehri as part of your Uttarakhand tour or you can also visit New Tehri separately for your vacation.