Kanatal – An off-beat enchanting destination
If you love to explore fresh trails in forests, or you love to take a dip in the natural stream of water bubbling through mountains, then Kanatal is just your place to be for the next vacation. It is located very close to the famous hill station Mussoorie and it is yet to be discovered completely by tourists offering you the chance to explore untouched natural territories.
With apple orchards surrounding the region, Kanatal offers you a quaint life, away from the hustle of cities, where you can stay closer to Mother Nature and off-the-grid for as long as you want. This small hill station has a lot of homestays offering organic and homegrown produce and comfort to spend your vacation in peace.
With a picturesque view of the snowy Himalayan ranges, Kanatal is best visited between April and October. However, if you want to experience the snow, then you would love to be here during December, January, and February.
What can you do in Kanatal?
Trek to Kaudia forest:
Whether you are an explorer or not, you would love to traverse these lush green less-explored forest trails. You can trek through the forests, wind through the rivers, and enjoy the amazing views of snow-laden mountains from all sides. The trek to the Kaudia forest, filled with dense foliage is a much-preferred option among hikers and you would want to be part of the trek if you love nature.
The Kaudia forest is filled with pine and deodar trees and you can reach it by walking just a couple of kilometers from Kanatal. The forest is a sight for sore eyes with lush green trees and rippling streams flowing through it offering views like never before and sounds of nature enveloping you in its grace.
The forest is also home to barking deer, gorals, and many birds and you can pick up pine cones as you make your way through this trek. If you are not very keen on walking, you can also opt to explore the region in a jeep.
Spend your nights at Kanatal looking at the stars and sleeping under the vast blue canopy offered by the sky. With oak trees all around you, and the sounds of the night to lull you into sleep, gazing into the star-studded night sky is an experience to remember for a lifetime.
Places to see in and around Kanatal
Whether you are visiting Kanatal for a weekend getaway or you want to spend time in Kanatal to enjoy a few holidays at leisure, you will find this to be an amazing choice. Be it an adventure seeker or someone looking to just relax, or someone seeking spiritual salvation, this quaint place has all that for everyone. There are a few places in Kanatal that you would want to visit before finishing your vacation.
- Surkanda Devi Temple devoted to Goddess Sati is about 5km from the center of the city. You can also take a trek of 2km to reach this temple.
- Another place to visit is the Tehri Dam, yet another destination for tourists with water sports to indulge in.
- If you love some adventure you can be part of the gliding activity. Crossing the valley is a popular attraction for tourists in Kanatal and there are professionals to guide you at every step of the way. You can even indulge in a shorter distance if you are scared of going longer.
- If you are an adventure seeker, then you can do more, by taking up rappelling on the natural cliffs at Kanatal. This is a very popular and most sought adventure activity for those who seek thrills in Kanatal.
- You can also explore the wildlife in the dense forests of Kanatal in the jungle safari, exploring the wilderness in both flora and fauna. There are many rare bird species, wild boars, nilgai, musk deers, etc. to watch out for.
- You can get a sneak peek into the rustic life of the people in Kanatal and enjoy homemade food at any of the homestays in Kanatal. You can explore the simple village, spend time with the locals, and enjoy the pleasant scenic vistas around you at your leisure.
- Trekking to the snowcapped mountains is a must-do activity in Kanatal since the place is located at a higher altitude, you already have access to the most splendid views of the Himalayan ranges.
- Go camping to some of the best nature stay places in Kanatal where you can spend quality time with nature, bathing in the unpolluted and fresh scenery all around you.
Kanatal is a safe destination to travel to, even during the monsoons, as it consists of a very short journey through mountains and yet provides you an unadulterated view of nature at every turn. Kanatal can be reached by air, train, or by road as you would prefer.
- By air, you have to reach the Jolly Grant Airfield in Dehradun, located 92km from Kanatal. Flights from many cities land here. You can take a cab from the airport to reach your destination.
- If you want to travel by train, then you can either reach the Dehradun station or the Rishikesh station. The former is at 85km from Kanatal and the latter at 75km. You can get a taxi or a bus to reach Kanatal from here.
- You can reach Dehradun and take a bus from there to Kanatal, or you can reach Kanatal on a bus traveling through the Mussoorie-Chamba road. Luxury and non-AC buses are plying through this route and you can choose the option more preferable to you.
If you want to spend time walking along the winding roads bordered by forest pine, rhododendron trees, and deodar, then Kanatal welcomes you with open arms. It is a place renowned for nature photography and preferred by many for meditation as well.
When you are in Kanatal, you can also visit other nearby destinations like Dhanaulti, Mussoorie, New Tehri, Dehradun, etc., and spend some time exploring them as well.